History of the village Šardice
South-Moravian village Šardice is located 11 km south-west of town Kyjov. Currently the village has 2200 inhabitants.
The first mention of Šardice was dated on 6th February 1286 when Olmutz bishop Dětřich issued an official document about foundation of Šardice parish. Archaeological finds date the settlement into the early Stone Age, late Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age, as well as Roman Empire Age.
Šardice is village of mostly agricultural small business. It was village of miners in the past. There was produced lignite from 1842. Development of mining activity had a significant share in development of the village during the whole period of its duration. Production in the last mine "Dukla" was finished in 1992.
Wine-making has always been a significant part of living of its inhabitants. Local slopes facing the south-east have always been bearing grapes of which the first-quality wines were produced. Wine-making in the village was already mentioned in the 15th century, when the main wine consumer was Augustinian cloister in old town Brno. Vineyard lanes were also mentioned in those times (Dubová, Hejdy, Kamenné, Červenice, Úlehle) and they were preserved until today. Margrave John Henry was the first who issued a special Horenský Order. In the State Regional Archive in Brno are archived extant "vineyard regulations" from 1753 issued by abbot Pertscher. Tradition of wine-making in the village is also testified by existing brass seal from 1622.
In present days wine is grown and produced particularly by the agricultural company Neoklas, several private businessmen and majority of village inhabitants for their own needs.
The oldest building and cultural monument in the village is St. Michael's Church. It is an early baroque building based on older Gothic foundations, rebuilt in the 18th century. "Residence" from 1742 which belonged to Augustinian cloister in Brno is also on the list of cultural monuments. It is a baroque building from the second half of 18th century with original layout, with stucco decoration in some rooms. Johann Gregor Mendel, a founder of science of genetics, also lived in this residence. Further cultural monuments in the village are St. Roch's Chapel from 1890, cross and chestnut tree standing nearby. A stone monument in the fields in Karlín direction is a reminder of Bochkay raids in 1605. An architectonically valuable building of Wayside Shrine, so called the Holy Trinity from 1749, was built in late baroque style along the unpaved road to Karlín.
The village has a typical own folk costume that belongs to south-kyjov costumes owing to its character. Dressing folk costumes is a significant feature of all cultural events in the village. Local feast, held on St. Michal's day, i.e. always on the first Sunday after 29th September, is important religious, social and folklore event.
The village has a rich cultural and folklore tradition. Children's Slovácko club "Šardičánek", cymbalo music acts here. Brass orchestras are the most important part of cultural life in the village. These are adult groups "Šardičanka" and "Ištvánci" or youth brass music group "Mladá muzika ze Šardic" that already performed in Belgium, Germany, France, Hungary, Poland, Austria or even in Japan. Recently a group of majorettes "Poupata", that acts in the primary school, reached a significant success. Sport activity, particularly football, is lived and breathed by the local sporting organization which lends its playground even for matches on international level.